Sunday, May 22, 2005

Knitting is the new drawing


My First Scarf!

I have been absent from my blog recently for several different reasons ... one of them is my rediscovered love of knitting :-) I'd been thinking for yonks that I should get my Grandma to give me a refresher course (she taught me when I was a nipper) so I managed to visit her last time I was 'down south' and after a 30 minute tutorial session I was away. 3 weeks later and I have drawn almost nothing but I am on my second ball of wool and more than half way towards finishing my first scarf. And it turns out that I work with a keen knitter who goes to a knitting group who meet once a month in the Starbucks above the Borders bookshop in York! I couldn't be more excited with my new skill and although it means I am slightly distracted from my drawing it's lovely and relaxing and addictive and, above all, creative which means I don't feel guilty that I'm neglecting my sketchpad a little.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there, I happened to come across your blog on a totally unrelated matter but I'm an avid York knitter who goes to the Stitch 'n' Bitch group (I didn't make it this last month due to work). Great to see some new members come into the fold, your scarf is looking great, keep it up!

Hellkitten said...

Hi Mel, isn't it strange how small the world is sometimes ... even on the vast universe of the web! I really enjoyed my first meeting so I'll try and make it a regular thing and I look forward to meeting you soon :-) BTW - the scarf is twice as long now and i'm just approaching the 'is it long enough now?' stage so it should be done soon and I'll post another piccie. Do you have a blog?

Anonymous said...

I've been meaning to get a blog started but haven't had the time/motivation to do it quite yet. Do you have the official "Stitch 'n' Bitch" book? That and S'n'B Nation will give you all sorts of ideas for your post-scarf project. I'm also learning how to draw and paint (which is how I found your blog), do you know of any classes in the York area worth taking?

Hellkitten said...

Hello again Mel - Yep I have Stitch 'n' Bitch so now I just have to choose what to do next :-) I haven't taken any art classes and have only lived in York since last September so I can't offer much help there. Have you looked on http://www.learndirect-advice.co.uk/ - you can search by your postcode and it brings up all the courses available. Failing that I could always give you lessons ... lol ;-D