Monday, February 28, 2005

Everyday Matters - Playing Catch Up


'Proper girly shoes'

This picture is the first one I've done for the Everyday Matters weekly drawing challenge. (I've got a lamp, a bag and a mug to do and then I'll have caught up with it - I'll post them here as I complete them)
I used my trusty quilters pencil (a light silver pencil meant for marking cloth) to sketch the shoe and write the text below it, then coloured it in with my watercolour pencils (dry). The shoes are brown suede and are kind of girly and bohemian - totally aspirational shoes because they represent the kind of clothing I admire and want to wear more of but always end up going for safer choices so I don't stand out too much from the flock. I bought them from a shop called 'New Look' which is super cheap and I fell in love with them as soon as I saw them. I don't buy that many shoes really but I do suddenly 'have to' buy new shoes every now and then and I usually have a pretty good idea of what I'm looking for, which sometimes makes for a pretty arduous shoe buying oddesey that can take weeks before I find 'the ones'. My husband, on the other hand wears one pair of (brown) shoes until they start letting rainwater in - then he goes shopping for a pair as close to the ones he is replacing as possible, and he never needs to look in more than a couple of shops before he finds what he's looking for. I think that if he could bear to part with the money he would buy 10 pairs in advance just so he'd avoid shoe shopping for the forseeable future.
Be inspired by Danny Gregory here

3 comments:

kb said...

Very pretty shoes and great drawing!
Kim

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed you blog about internet business. I also have a site about internet business which makes me appreciate this one even more! Keep up the good work!

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

Now I know this was posted AGES ago but I came across your blog through the EDM site. This is really cute, love the picture and love the handwriting too.