Monday, April 04, 2005

EDM Challenge - Watches


'Shiny Happy Couple'

Last weeks Everyday Matters challenge was to draw your watch or any other piece of jewellery. I wanted to have a go at beating the perfectionist within by sketching something with a pen (gasp ... no way to erase the mistakes!!!) so I bought a technical drawing pen and had a go at drawing my engagement ring ... so far so good ... I had a go at drawing my wedding ring and that came out okay as well ... then it just kind of escalated from there - I had a go at doing the watch that my beloved bought me as a wedding gift and decided to continue the wedding jewellery theme until it seemed downright rude not to include Mark's ring, watch and cufflinks. I painted some sturdy watercolour paper with silver acrylic paint, collaged the drawings with a photo of us on our wedding day and added a quote that I found several weeks ago:
"Marriage is tough, because it is woven of all these various elements, the weak and the strong. 'In-loveness' is fragile for it is woven only with the gossamer threads of beauty." ~ Anne Morrow Lindbergh

BTW the space at the top of the collage is for when I summon the courage to have a go at drawing my tiara :-)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

brave move and well done - I still do the pencil outline first, I'll have to try some direct pen next.

Anonymous said...

sorry I put the wrong link in for myself

Robyn said...

It's great the way that you have combined your sketches with a photograph to make such a lovely scrapbook page. It makes it very special.

Cheers
Robyn
Scratches & Scribbles

Maggie said...

Wow, that's a lot of drawing! :-) I agree with Robyn, it makes a lovely page. Once the tiara is drawn are you going to frame it? Love the photo of you both too, you look so happy. Is that bookcase behind you the one with the secret door?

Kathleen Pequignot said...

So pretty... the people, the drawings. Just a great project. Good for you--drawing direct with your new ink pen. Best wishes and happy artmaking!

Linda said...

Good for you! See, drawing straight on with the pen wasn't THAT hard, was it! :-) This is really a nice entry, and you did a really lovely job combining the drawings with the photo with the quote.

u l a n said...

this is a nice page! =) go and draw your tiara, i'm sure it'll turn out as nice as your other sketches.

ian [everydaymatters]
http://ulan25.so-phobic.com/paperjournal