Friday, March 04, 2005

Everyday Matters - Week 3 Challenge


'Big Night Out Bag'

This is one of those handbags with a photo printed on one side - I bought it from a shop called Oasis a couple of years ago specially to take out with me on my hen night ... there was a matching purse as well so I got that ... there was also a matching vanity case which I was very tempted to (to take on honeymoon of course) but I managed to talk myself out of it. It's my favourite bag mainly because of the picture, looks like it might be Sophia Loren to me, which always makes me smile ... what else would you wear to be photographed with a tiger cub - why, it just has to be a tiger skin fur coat (fake fur hopefully) every time. It has also become my 'Big Night Out' bag which I always take if I'm set to party and all glammed up. It's big enough for my purse, phone, keys, lipstick and not much else ... I have managed to cram my wooly hat and gloves into it on occassion but it starts looking a little overstuffed. I just used my quilting pencil to sketch this and it took a mighty long time to finish so I won't be adding a sketch of the matching purse :-) I love the way the scanner made it look like I sketched it with a bright light coming from the right ... what I mean is - I'm really pleased with the way I managed to capture the lighting so well ;-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bonus drawing:


'Cute Purse'

I drew this on March 5th but it seemed to make more sense to post it here rather than create a new post. The cats are actually different colours so I might add some colour and post that piccie here too. I drew it straight off with a pen (Pentel gel pen) which is big news for me because it meant I couldn't re-do bits if they went wrong (that counts as risk taking in my world) ... luckily it came out well first time round - - - I might be brave and use pen more often ;-) This purse is the only one I've owned that attracts comments from people when I get it out to pay for something ... it's a bit fiddly to get coins out of but at least there's something nice for shop staff to look at while I'm fumbling away :-)

2 comments:

Robyn said...

At the end of last year my Design & Technology class did a project in which they had to recyle plastic supermarket bags into something useful. One of my students tried to make a bag like yours using photographs of famous people between layers of the plastic that had been fused together using an iron.

It seemed a good idea at the time until another student reported that her scientist father said that the supermarket bags give off toxic fumes when heated. Whoops!

Like your sketch.

u l a n said...

nice sketch! and yeah, it is a cute purse! =)